I am determined to start making a better go of breakfast during the week rather than the current situation where Rory gobbles down his cereal standing at the kitchen sink and I grab something, usually unhealthy, when I get a chance later in the day at work. I want to be one of those families where breakfast is a sit down event.
In my fantasy world, every morning there would be a clean and pressed plain white Irish linen tablecloth on the table and freshly squeezed chilled pulpy orange juice in tall glasses. Our places would be set with an eclectic but stylish mix of old fashioned pretty crockery and there would be rich dark cappuccino in beautifully glazed cups. Rory and I would sit down and chat for at least 15 minutes about our plans for the upcoming day.
We’d be eating…
- Monday: A fresh made waffle with locally grown berries and yoghurt.
- Tuesday: Light toasted muesli with fresh apricot and peach fruit salad.
- Wednesday: A buttery croissant with a slice of gruyere cheese and a couple of slices of tomato.
- Thursday: Kellogg's crunchy nut cornflakes followed by a hot piece of toasted Vogels bread with Marmite.
- Friday: Half a juicy pink grapefruit followed by a creamy banana and yoghurt smoothie.
- Monday: A cherry tomato and spring onion omelette.
- Tuesday: A bowl of porridge with sultanas, cinnamon and a wee sprinkling of brown sugar.
- Wednesday: A short stack of pancakes with real maple syrup and banana.
- Thursday: A poached egg on Vogels 12 grain toast with a drop of HP sauce.
…or something like that *sigh*
How about you? What’s your idea of the very best week day breakfast options? Feel free to put me to complete shame and share your family’s breakfast routine.